A Lost Spoiler

Ever since I looked up a spoiler for the intensely stooooopid movie The Butterfly Effect, I am sort of considered the font of all wisdom on which movies to watch - well with the help of Sean McBride at rottentomatoes.com of course. Even more so since Sean said War of The Worlds was great and he was so right. So with all my obvious googling abilities on the subject of movies, Susi asked me to look up a spoiler for Lost - and anyone reading this is invited to try googling that, but while you do, here's the answer.

Lost isn't about anything

Lost isn't about anything. They aren't dead, they aren't in purgatory and they aren't Lords of the Flies. They are in La La Land. La La Land is the place where movie and tv companies make money and stars large or small go crazy or become weird.

David Lynch demonstrated all this very stylishly when he made that weirdly marvellous show, Twin Peaks. Who the hell was Bad Bob? Again the answer is very simple, Bad Bob was my old and dear friend Dee Conroy. I know this is true cos my girlfriend at the time told me so.

When Twin Peaks was finally re-broadcast on some Sky Channel about eight years ago my daughter and my son would constantly ask all the questions about the show I had once asked myself. They would formulate forensic models of who had done what in Twin Peaks and then ask me.

My answer was always the same. "You are being taken in by David Lynch's model of what a narrative is" you can construct a sentence in English which is grammatically correct but meaningless - Noam Chomksy's "Green sheep sleep furiously" comes to mind, and you can do the same with narrative - while an action in reality is always the result of a cause and all causes are local, in a fictional narrative cause and effect while implying the existence of each other are not dependent - at all.

From this you can have any long running mystery show run almost forever. Who, for instance, was the one-armed man that Richard Widmark pursued for so long in that excrutiating sixties show The Fugitive? And what was the X Files all about in the end? What happened to Richard Dreyfuss when he got on that big birthday cake ufo at the end of Close Encounters and what on earth was happening to Frank in Millenium? As for the Grimaldi device in Alias - well it might as well have been a Grimaldi biscuit for all the difference it made in the end.

Who killed Laura Palmer and wrapped her up like a discarded cemetery bouquet? Well as I mentioned earlier, that was Dee Conroy because she is Bad Bob.

And if you really, really, really want to know what Lost is about you should ask Dee. Or Bad Bob.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog