A Romantic Wedding in Scotland.

German gossip magazines are surprisingly numerous and like television no one actually admits to reading them. I realised this when were in the Doctor's surgery a few days ago and Susi said there was nothing to read. Well there was quite a lot to read including Bunte ( a woman's name?) and Goldene Blatt, which I think means Golden tongue but I could be wrong. Another curious thing is that these magazines are distributed by a small army of semi- retired people who sell subscriptions. More importantly they have a special distributors dust cover so that no one can tell whether you are reading a gossip mag or the Harvard Business Reveiw. I can't really understand that sort of labour intensive business model but it fits in well with all the other strange methods of newspaper and magazine distribution.

I happened to mention to some participants among many things, that Kylie was the most famous Australian in the Known Universe, after the koala bear. After they managed to confuse Bryan Adams - a Canadian. with Jason Donovan I gave them a complete run down on Jason's allegedly colourful life post-Kylie. They were keen to know where I got all my info from and naturally I pointed them in the direction of Popbitch.com which is my favourite gossip mailing. Now the good thing about this is that they can keep up to date with all the gossip without any risk of being spotting by anyone, actually reading a magazine. German coffee tables normally creak under the weight of Geo or History or a multitude of other intensely intellectual magazines that are possibly, more admired than read.

Oddly this reminded me of a friend of mine, lets call him Scot who got married to a German in Scotland. They went to town, had the whole Kilts, Haggis, Scotch and Annie's Heiland hame. They were absolutely mad for it.

About five weeks later they had split up and a few months after that, they were divorced.

And all of this is a bit like those hidden magazines. Germans have a very romantic notion of Scotland inpired by some ding a ling women who churns out bodice rippers based in Scotland's past at an industrial rate. It is not unusual for friends to ask me or Susi questions based on the these novels. Why for example do I not describe young men as laddie or women as lassie? Er... well this resulted in me calling Susi my braw lassie for about a week until it wore thin. Then I was tempted to use some of that rich dialogue from Hightlander which at least was shot in Scotland in parts. My Blossom and all of that who wants to live forever stuff.

Anyway this German wife of Scot clearly wanted all that Scottish Wedding crap but the reality of living in Scotland probably had a greater resemblance to living in the part of Germany Formerly Known as East Germany. Once that reality kicked in, she was rather less romantic in her immediate departure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog